Question on Useability

Question on Useability

Postby SLTM1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 am

I'm wondering if I can buy a gated Howell Conversion cylinder that would fit in my Centaure. They offer the cylinder in both Uberti and Pietta configurations, so would one of those fit the Centaure frame?

Re: Question on Useability

Postby Indy4570 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 am

even if you could fit a conversion to a centaure what about the bore? I think I read that the bore on the centaures are smaller than the Colts? would that affect using a cartridge? I suppose bullet choice would be everything, I don't reload so I am not knowledgeable on such things.
"better too have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

Long Johns Wolf

Postby Long Johns Wolf » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:59 am

SLTM1 and the campfire: I had to line the barrels of all my Centaures converted to fire cartridges.
For convenience they were fitted with liners of .429 groove dia so I can shoot the .44 Colt inside lubed cartridges.
Their conversion cylinders were custom made and are bored with 6 chambers each as were the originals.
Long Johns Wolf

Hoof Hearted

Postby Hoof Hearted » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 am

SLTM1, I frequently convert Centaurs for my customers. In order to get the cylinder gap correct I use the Pietta length conversions then I cut the cylinder in the lathe. Conversely if you do not plan to use the cap and ball cylinder I can cut the breech end of the barrel and leave the cylinder longer for more room for the cartridge. None of these 1860 revolvers allow a SAAMI spec, full length, 45 Colt cartridge hence the "Cowboy loads" designation. I also make my rear loading Thuer conversions for the Centaur on a custom installed basis (both Drop in and the deluxe "New" Thuer).

Return to “Centaure Conversions”