Greetings and Merry Christmas from Michigan!

Kev-lar

Greetings and Merry Christmas from Michigan!

Postby Kev-lar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:42 pm

My first post to the forum is a Merry Christmas to all!

Now that is addressed, My Centaur is SN: 9649. I liberated her from a gun store in Caro, Michigan about a year ago. They had a number of cap and ball revolvers, mostly Piettas, with maybe an Uberti mixed in. My Centaur had a very poor finish on the barrel, with most of the bluing gone, and some putting on the top where the 1960 Army rollmarks should be. Only “60 Arm” was visible. For $150 she came with the holster, a used Civil War flap holster of unknown age or provinance.

Having owned quite a few Ubertis and Piettas over the years, I appreciated how, despite her outward appearance, crisp her action is. There is no slop or play in the cylinder. I’m pretty sure she has not been fired a lot. I only recently became aware of what I was actually in possession of. I assumed it was just another cheap Colt knock-off. If owned Italian replicas and Spanish ones too. I had no idea before coming here how special a Belgian one actually is.

I spent many nights with 800 grit sandpaper and completely removed all of the bluing as well as the pitting. I refinished the barrel with cold blue solution.

I will happily post some photos, as soon as I figure out how to do so.

Kev-lar

Re: Greetings and Merry Christmas from Michigan!

Postby Kev-lar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Long Johns Wolf

Re: Greetings and Merry Christmas from Michigan!

Postby Long Johns Wolf » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 am

Welcome Kev-lar and you did a great job.
#9649 looks fine after your treatment.
Now we would love to read some range report.
Happy Holidays,
Long Johns Wolf

Return to “Welcome New FROCS and Centaure Aficionados”